Monday, 5 September 2011

PerGOALa or Per-golla?

So we have a "project" happening at our bush hide-away and to us, it's a perGOALa. To others it's a per-golla. Either way, it's going to be a monster which-ever of those you prefer.

Part of our house faces West and even though this wall has no windows, it still heats up like a furnace in Summer.

Something drastic needs to be done to shade this wall and tree planting close to the house is not an option for fire risk reasons. Luckily for us, some of our lovely locals, Matt and his partner, Anna, have an amazing business building, extending and renovating using recycled everything. Pumphouse Design and Building.They have over an acre piled high with all sorts of reclaimed STUFF: windows, joists, beams, timbers, frames, bricks, all sorts of metal bits etc etc etc.

When I was taking Bobby for a walk, a few months back, I walked past his collection and saw a stack of galvanised iron street light poles and my mind went in to over-drive at the possibilities.

Contact was made, discussions were had and a plan was made.

We are popping three, 9-metre high, street lights in front of this (burnt orangey) wall, in an arc, and will be stringing cable between each of them.Then, I am going to plant glorious, pendulous, show-offey, white wisteria to ramble up them. Hopefully, they won't cark it and the blossoms will be a yearly spectacular.

This week, the concrete footings were poured in to massive holes and tomorrow the poles go up!

Work starting on the post holes
Digger digging


This hole is about One and a half metes deep!




Our street light poles - soon to be a pergola


Magnificent white wisteria. Fingers crossed ours will look this speccy.


Hope it will look as fab as it does in my head.
I'll keep you posted.


1 comment:

  1. I admit I envy the magnificent white wisteria. I wish I could also grow one with my pergola. This is actually what I want to have.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are much appreciated.
Feel free to share this with others who may find it of interest.
Cheers!