Friday, 1 April 2011

Quincing Around

A couple of my lovely, Fryerstown neighbours have trees laden with quinces.

I had considered planting a couple of varieties, but really there is no need if I have access to theirs, is there?

They are such a quirky old fruit, gnarly and knobbly covered in a thin, furry skin. A still-life artist's delight really.


Margaret Olley


Jeffrey Smart

The thing with quinces is they are inedible until cooked (unless you like bitter, astringent and incredibly sour flavours!) and the magic happens when you DO cook them, because that is when their pale appley/peary type flesh changes to become an awesome, deep, burnished, coppery red.

I am going to attempt to make quince paste...yes I am.
I have poured over all my recipe books and online for a fail-safe recipe and I think I will fall back on both Maggie and Stephanie to get me through.

Fingers crossed.

Autumn and it's bounty...glorious

3 comments:

  1. They are magical aren't they- the way they turn that rose colour when cooked. So good. I love them, many don't.
    I don't have a tree either but my Mr.10 has spied an abundance on a tree right next to the tennis court he plays at & has been bringing me the bounty. Well trained huh!
    I am really looking forward to hearing how you go with the paste as I have never made this and would love to.
    Can't wait to hear!
    P.S.Love the blog make-over. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tasty Vizuals Bella...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want quinces! The one good thing about living in suburban hell last year was the abundance of trees that gave me free oranges,olives,bay leaves and quinces. I have none of this in the inner city. I need to put the word out to ask who has what and can I come and raid it!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are much appreciated.
Feel free to share this with others who may find it of interest.
Cheers!