Thursday, 20 May 2010

Someone Else's Things Have a New Home

Today I'm showing off my absolutely splendifourous purchases from the farm auction I mentioned in my last post. These are big-ticket items my friends and things I have dreamt of owning since I was a wee thing. I'm justifying, aren't I?

We knew the grandfather clock was going to be auctioned and I had a slush fund I'd been putting aside just for its purchase. That was all we really intended to buy...and buy it we did. Bidding was fast and furious, but the price ended up being considerably less than its value...so that's a good thing - isn't it? I am SO happy to be able to offer it a new place to tick and chime its big old heart away.

BUT...(oh there's always a but at an auction isn't there?) there was this amazing Art Deco lounge suite, in MY colours, with drink stands, in perfect, almost-new condition! I sat on it and could not believe the seats were firm and comfy. There was no sag and no wear-&-tear. We do not "NEED" a lounge suite, BUT this was was screaming out my name.
It had to be mine.
We were dumb-founded and blown away when no-one else felt the same way...we got it for $200! One guy actually turned to me and said "What'd ya but that for?"
They even threw in a lovingly handmade crocheted blanket and two fabby cushions!

So here they are, new additions to our home from somebody else's.











Welcome my friends, I think you'll be happy here.

22 comments:

  1. I am soooo jealous. Love both those items. Lucky I wasn't there or it might have ended in tears.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart actually stopped beating for a moment or two upon spying what has to be the world's most beautiful lounge. Glad it's found someone who'll love it as much as I would {I'd love it so much it might get scary, and husband would become jealous of my constant stroking...}

    Grandfather clock gorgeous too - congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that adage- "Someone's trash is Someone else's treasure". Beautiful finds- well done.
    My mama has a clock ('twas her father's who was a clockmaker- but it's not a "Grandfather Clock" per se) in her home with the comforting tick tock and then the wonderful chiming every quarter hour. SOoo beautiful. I used to go to sleep to it's sounds. What a treasure for you to find a real one.
    You've got the Eagle Eye Feisty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love everything you won. I was very retro a few years back, then went modern, but my heart ached and now I am back again. Doesn't it puzzle you that no-one covets what you adore, and yet you look in all the mags, and they look just like your home?
    That rug is fabulous. You don't see many of those! xxNick

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah - I get jealous reading your blog when it feature all of your fab finds!! Love the little wooden ledge (technical name?!) on the armchairs, I can just picture my little drink perching there....in my dreams that is.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love, love, love the lounge and matching chair/s. OMG. What a find. I would steal them from you in an instant. I'm not normally like that. But I would.

    I'm new here. Feel free to be weirded out! lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was a MAN that asked you why you bought that wasn't it? What do they know? It is just beautiful and you got a good deal! WooHoo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh my, what fabulous finds. i can't believe that sofa was only $200. i paid considerably more for a piece of rubbish!
    enjoy your new finds.
    l
    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. well done you ... two fab finds going to a good home.

    My Flea Market Find

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my wordy lordy YES. Definitely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The fabric on that couch is to die for! Amazing find.

    ReplyDelete
  12. lovely lovely lovely!! you did need them, i'm sure, because they are wonderful. very jealous over that old grandfather clock!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Geez! Those are brilliant finds!
    Loving both of those amazing pieces of history!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Holy cow, that lounge suit is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, wow... Oh wow!!!!!

    I am ever so jealous of your goodies - the clock especially... and the space you must have to fit that fabbo lounge... I just adore the chairs, the shape is beautiful... and two cute cushions to boot.. score!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Now that's the kind of lounge if you couldn't fit it in you'd just build another room for. Well done, it is divine and obviously meant to be.

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh my what a week you have had huh it's great to get something we NEED when op shopping huh.... ps i really do love the those cushion i may try to replicate!! is there any chance you could send me a photo of the back or is that just plain rude i hope not, not intended!!!! xx

    tracimjanderson@yahoo.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow - that lounge suit is huge and it just looks like if you sat on it, you'd be lost in its comfyness forever! If you don't need a lounge suite I can't wait to see where you put it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOOOAH - big ticket INDEEDY! that couch looks to have sprinkles of art-deco era and floral sweetness all over it.. ENjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh yes, yes, yes ... adore that lounge suite ... it's a gorgeous, fabulous find, good on YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I thought you were meant to be moving out of that house at some point?? Me thinks you're getting a wee bit settled!! Great finds love!

    Ooh a site for you http://www.madebywhite.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  22. Well done! That lounge suite was so meant to be yours. I love the colours too. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are much appreciated.
Feel free to share this with others who may find it of interest.
Cheers!