Friday, 7 May 2010

Soft or Scary?

Kylie Minogue recently admitted that she has "tried" botox in the past and Olivia Newton-John reckons it the "berries from the Amazon, diet and exercise" that have her looking so "young".

More examples of the now squillions of women who lose the ability to be honest once they start to inject. I'm not saying they do it intentionally or that they are necessarily treating us like idiots...I am really starting to think it's part of the effect of the drug itself.

As it goes with addiction, you start out with just a little and before you know it you are HOOKED.

These women inject and inject and inject until they bear little resemblance to their previous selves. Do they really not see how bizarre they look when it's all gone too far or is that part of the effect of the poisoning? Why is it that their eyebrows all end up in a severe up-side-down V and nothing like their original eyebrow line and they don't see it? Maybe botox dulls their perception and eyesight and rationale to the point that they really DON'T see it - they truly believe they just look "refreshed".

It's all sounding very much like any drug of addiction to me, where justification is the name of the game. When you are on the booze or the pills or powder of your choice you think you are totally fine and rational and able to speak and communicate and DRIVE safely. You think you are more animated, entertaining, relaxed, fun and fabulous whereas, in fact, you are a slurring, slobbering, un-coordinated, aggressive, embarrassing bore.

Is botox the new heroin? Are these women hopelessly addicted and now on the sad and pathetic justification road for the rest of their lives?

I find it all so terribly sad. Sad that society has driven them to this. Sad that they talk themselves in to it with the old "it made me feel good about myself" line.

Isn't it weird that there does not seem to have been any serious research in to the effects of Botox as a drug of addiction?

I find it TRAGIC that we are erasing life from our faces.

I find it bizarre that babies are being born to women who cannot show them the myraid of minute facial expressions and emotions necessary for babies to learn how to communicate effectively with other humans.

The first 6 women (Meryl Streep, Tina Fey, Helen Mirren, Claudia Karvan, Annette Bening & Vivienne Westwood) below, have LIFE in their faces. There are scars and wrinkles and blotches and lines and redness and yet, to me, a beautiful and alluring softness.

The last 6 (Nicole Kidman, Melanie Griffith, Sigrid Thornton, Kylie Minogue, Cher & Donatella Versace) are, to me, SCARY and sad and plastic and hard and totally unappealing.



Why do I care what these women do to themselves? It's their choice right?
You know what? The more I think about it, the less I believe that to be the case.

What about you?

8 comments:

  1. Julie Paterson7 May 2010 at 13:32

    "babies are being born to women who cannot show them the myraid of minute facial expressions and emotions necessary for babies to learn how to communicate effectively with other humans."

    I think this quote above from yourself is very pertinent and insightful, something I'd not thought of before as I don't have children, but it really hit a note with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely with you on this one. And wow, I'd never considered the fact that admitting to 'trying' is a side-effect. I used to just think it was sad, but now I'm getting angry at some of these faces - seriously, don't they see what we see? Nicole Kidman was so beautiful before, as was Sigrid Thornton - and now, they're parodies of themselves - so much worse than the wax effigies on Spitting Image. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic post Feisty! Hear Hear! The feminists who worked so hard for change and equality must be reeling......how have we got it so wrong in just a few decades? As you say, it is so so sad.
    Why have we become SO shallow as a society that the portrayal of women as living barbie dolls is ok? The pictures you show of the Botox in action are very powerful......and sooooo unattractive on so many levels.
    And I've never really got why on earth you could possibly think that injecting yourself with deadly Botulism would be a good idea but obviously as you suggest, it is not a decision made in these cases by rational people.......

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's sad for these already beautiful women to be so insecure they feel the need to do this.

    I think Botox has it's place, I have a friend who has a very deep crease between her brow, if she's not smiling she looks angry (she was a sun worshipper). She has Botox in that area to soften it, as she said she got sick of people asking her what was wrong as she always looked cross. The rest of her face moves perfectly well and the crease is softer. I'm all for it, as it makes her feel confident.

    I tried Botox with another friend, just to try, I didn't like the feeling. Those muscles on my forehead that didn't move felt very heavy on my brow and I felt as though I had a tension headache. I don't think I'd bother again. I also think I've earned everyone one of my wrinkles...

    Now as for full body liposuction...... :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. am i the only person who thinks the last lot of women look like freaks?
    it's not jealousy or anything like that - i seriously think they look ugly. I saw a woman on some american soap show and she had massive lips, massive cheeks and it looked like her skin had been stretched over her face too tightly. i remember thinking, 'does she really think that she looks beautiful???' seriously?
    i'm confused.
    mind you, this is coming from the girl who loves each and every stretch mark because they are memories of each of my pregnancies ;-)
    l
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are right about botox being an addiction! I know as I am a user!! Next step facelift in a few years.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great point about the first six women having 'life' in their faces - what else would you bloody want to see there?!!
    But maybe you are onto something about the drug itself dulling their perceptions, how else could you explain them not being able to recognise how awful the affects on their face is? They look truly bad, and sad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know I used to feel pity for those who seemingly resisted ageing by undergoing procedures in an effort to turn back time. I have to admit though, since turning 40, and seeing the ravages of hard living catch up with me I suddenly find myself contemplating 'fillers', whatever they are. I get this now, more than before. As a feminist it raises some cognitive disonance.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are much appreciated.
Feel free to share this with others who may find it of interest.
Cheers!